What We do
A national movement to bridge the partisan divide and strengthen our democratic republic
Who We Are
Launched in 2016, Braver Angels is a national movement to bring liberals, conservatives and others together at the grassroots level — not to find centrist compromise, but to find one another as citizens. Through workshops, debates, campus engagement, and more, Braver Angels helps Americans understand each other beyond stereotypes, form community alliances, and reduce the vitriol that poisons our civic culture.
Tired of the same old partisan talking points? Sign up for a Braver Angels debate to listen, learn, and make your voice heard.
Braver Angels Alliances are local groups of red, blue and other members who meet regularly to organize, socialize, and grow our movement.
- Red-Blue workshops bring together a small, evenly divided group of conservatives and liberals, or “reds” and “blues,” for a series of exercises designed to help participants clarify disagreements, reduce stereotyped thinking, and discover common values.
- Common Ground workshops allow participants from Red-Blue workshops to dig deeper into specific issues, recognizing that there is often more that unites us than divides us.
- Skills for Bridging the Divide workshops help you through difficult political conversations with people in your life. Learn how to talk across the divide in a constructive, empathetic way.
- Depolarizing Within workshops teach participants to look within and develop strategies for engaging politics without demonizing, and how to constructively intervene in social conversations with like-minded peers.
- Families and Politics workshops show participants how to talk about politics with their loved ones in a way that brings us closer together — not farther apart.
- Race Conversations enable participants to talk about race in an inquisitive, non-judgmental way.
- Being Red in a Blue Environment workshops are for political conservatives who are surrounded by liberals in key areas of life like work, family, social circle, religion, or community. Participants learn safe and effective ways to communicate conservative values and beliefs in environments where liberal ideas are assumed to be correct.
- Being Blue in a Red Environment workshops are for political liberals and progressives who are surrounded by conservatives in key areas of life like work, family, social circle, religion, or community. Participants learn safe and effective ways to communicate liberal values and beliefs in environments where conservative ideas are assumed to be correct.
- Skills for Social Media teaches strategies to share and discuss political viewpoints online without contributing to polarization.
- Faith-Sponsored workshops support communities of faith in progressing the mission of Braver Angels.
1:1's enable you to talk directly with someone with a different perspective. We pair people across differences upon request, and offer a detailed guide so you can stay on track and learn from one another.
A citizen-led movement to engage candidates, public officials, and political staff across the United States of America.
One organization can't change the country. Join the network of organizations working to build a social movement to bridge the divide.
College Debates Program
Our partnership with ACTA and BridgeUSA provides a vivid experience of civil debates and discourse for students across the nation.
Head to the Braver Angels library to check out member recommended books, resources, and find upcoming book discussions
Each month we discuss a film related to Braver Angels interests and themes.