1:1 Conversations Across Differences
What is a 1:1 Conversation?
A novel way for different types of people to connect personally and as citizens who are concerned for their country. The process involves two structured 1-hour conversations between two people using an online platform.
If you’re thinking of participating in 1:1 conversations, just jump on into it! You’ll be glad for the experience!
–Deena Recker, conservative
I think of each conversation as a sturdy brick. A brick is a small thing, but thousands of bricks together–thousands of pairs of people talking to each other–can build a mighty bridge.
–Donna Murphy, liberal
The Four Types of Conversations
Connecting one conservative and one liberal/progressive
Conversation About Race, Ethnicity and Culture
Connecting two people from different racial, ethnic or cultural groups
Conversation Across Generations
Connecting one person 18-30 years old with one person 61+ years old
Connecting one rural or small-town dweller with one person from an urban or suburban area
✓ More understanding of the experiences, feelings, and beliefs of the other person
✓ Discovering any areas of commonality
✓ Ideas for how to bridge differences for the sake of our communities and our country
- Emphasizes storytelling, listening, and learning rather than declaring or debating.
- Both people share and learn. Neither is teaching the other or giving feedback about how to think or say things differently.
- Participants take turns responding to a series of questions of increasing depth, with the other person listening without cross talk, and then sharing what they learned about the other’s views and experiences, and seeing if there is something in common.
- Ends with both people coming up with action ideas to make a difference.
- After the structured conversations are over, participants often decide to continue talking to each other in unstructured conversations. This allows them to dig deeper into issues, ask the other’s opinion about current events, and keep up with their partner’s health, pets, children and grandchildren.
Choose a Conversation Type
Listen to the Audio Introduction
It's About Relationships
Sign Up Info
If you attended FreedomFest, please sign up now.
If you are from Minnesota or California, please sign up now (we’re experimenting).
If you are a Red seeking a Red/Blue Conversation, an 18-30 year old seeking a Conversation Across Generations, a Rural or Small-Town dweller seeking a Rural/Urban Conversation, or identify as a member of one of these groups* for a Conversation About Race, Ethnicity and Culture, please sign up now. (*Black or African American; American Indian or Alaskan Native; Asian; Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander; Middle Eastern or North African; Hispanic or Latino; Jewish)
If you are a Blue seeking a Red/Blue conversation, an Urban or Suburban dweller seeking a Rural/Urban conversation, a 61+ year old seeking a Conversation Across Generations, or a White person who doesn’t fall into one of the above racial, ethnic or cultural categories, please find a partner on the other side for your conversation from among your acquaintances or others. Summoning the courage to reach out to someone different than you is part of the Braver Angels journey. When you sign up, enter your partner’s name and email address where requested, and choose the specific 1:1 conversation you two have agreed upon.
If you cannot find a partner, you can sign up anyway, but it may take several weeks to pair you. On the sign-up form, please rank your preference of conversations. You must rank at least two preferences, and we encourage you to rank all the conversations that apply to you in the event we cannot give you your first or second choice. All four conversations are excellent! We appreciate your flexibility.
Note: We do not vet participants. We assume that those who sign up for these conversations do so in good faith. In the rare instance that someone we pair you with behaves in an utterly inappropriate manner, let us know at [email protected] so that we do not pair them with anyone else.