1:1 Conversations Across Differences
What is a 1:1 Conversation?
A novel way for different types of people to connect personally and as citizens who are concerned for their country. The process involves two structured 1-hour conversations between two people using an online platform.
If you’re thinking of participating in 1:1 conversations, just jump on into it! You’ll be glad for the experience!
–Deena Recker, conservative
I think of each conversation as a sturdy brick. A brick is a small thing, but thousands of bricks together–thousands of pairs of people talking to each other–can build a mighty bridge.
–Donna Murphy, liberal
The Four Types of Conversations
Connecting one conservative and one liberal/progressive
Conversation About Race, Ethnicity and Culture
Connecting two people from different racial, ethnic or cultural groups
Conversation Across Generations
Connecting one person 18-30 years old with one person 61+ years old
Connecting one rural or small-town dweller with one person from an urban or suburban area
✓ More understanding of the experiences, feelings, and beliefs of the other person
✓ Discovering any areas of commonality
✓ Ideas for how to bridge differences for the sake of our communities and our country
- Emphasizes storytelling, listening, and learning rather than declaring or debating.
- Both people share and learn. Neither is teaching the other or giving feedback about how to think or say things differently.
- Participants take turns responding to a series of questions of increasing depth, with the other person listening without cross talk, and then sharing what they learned about the other’s views and experiences, and seeing if there is something in common.
- Ends with both people coming up with action ideas to make a difference.
- After the structured conversations are over, participants often decide to continue talking to each other in unstructured conversations. This allows them to dig deeper into issues, ask the other’s opinion about current events, and keep up with their partner’s health, pets, children, grandchildren, hobbies, etc.
Info on Conversation Types
Listen to the Audio Introduction
It's About Relationships
Sign Up Information
After reading the information on Page Two, you can either find your own conversation partner or click “Sign Up Now” for us to find you a partner.
Our ability to pair you depends entirely on who else signs up that is different from you. Sign-ups can be lopsided. That’s why we appreciate your flexibility and patience. Most people are paired within a few days to three weeks.
Please note that if you sign up, you are making a commitment to take part in a conversation. You will be asked to provide an email address and phone number (cell phone if at all possible). Sometimes emails go astray, (if a partner’s email accidently goes to junk mail, they won’t know to contact you) so please try contacting your partner by email, text and phone.
On the sign-up form, please rank your preference of conversations. You must rank at least two preferences, and we encourage you to rank all the conversations that apply to you. All four conversations are excellent!
If you want a second type of conversation with someone else, we will pair you again provided you fill out the sign-up form again after you complete your first conversation. If you do not fall into one of the categories listed in the next paragraph, we can pair you for a maximum of two conversations. If you want more, please do find your own conversation partners.
We especially encourage the following types of people to sign up for multiple conversations: Reds for a Red/Blue conversation; Rural/Small-town dwellers for a Rural/Urban conversation; 18-30 year olds for a Conversation Across Generations; and non-White people for a Conversation about Race, Ethnicity and Culture.
Note: We do not vet participants. We assume that those who sign up for these conversations do so in good faith. In the rare instance that someone we pair you with behaves in an utterly inappropriate manner, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we do not pair them with anyone else.