We, as Americans, cherish the freedom and right to disagree—which we do, often deeply about important issues that need resolution. But polarization undermines that freedom by tightening prejudices rather than opening thought, thus diminishing the chances for finding resolutions and moving forward. So while polarization may feel like a righteous champion of freedom and right, it is in fact just the opposite—a stick jammed in the spokes of the democratic discourse of freedom. Here are some of the common ways it does it:
- SEDUCES with loaded, heated language and childish name-calling that appeals more to emotion that reason.
- BLINKERS by using cherry-picked facts, and ignoring or mocking opposing arguments and evidence rather than actually addressing them.
- TRIVIALIZES by focusing on “straw-man” issues whose value in re-enforcing biases is clearly greater than their substance.
- BULLIES by making you feel like a dupe or a traitor if you even listen to the other side.
- FLATTERS with language and a tone that makes you feel like an insider, who, of course, agrees with them because you “get it” … just like they do.
- FRIGHTENS by portraying the other side as not just wrong, but a dangerous, evil enemy, replete with wicked hidden agendas.
- “CLANS,” that is, plays the “us vs. them” identity politics game of associating the other view with groups or people (implicitly) “inferior” to “us.”
- “TRIBES” by using the knowing winks and nods of sarcasm, coded language, words in quotes (suggesting they’re misleading) and innuendo which you, as a member of the tribe, of course, will understand without explanation or justification.
This week…we learned that “they” support hate…accept pedophilia…are attacking a life saving program…are responsible for the college admissions scandal…suck up to Big Pharma…are trying to miscarry justice…are a warped version of Christianity…are messing with voting rights…and so much more. What a relief to finally get clarity, enlightenment and wisdom in this time of complex and very real problems and worries.
When reading these examples, check the above list and ask yourself: regardless of whether you agree or disagree, is this really advancing an intelligent resolution through the persuasive, rational arguments of advocacy…or simply fueling the fire of conflict through the divisive, emotional manipulations of polarization?
Here are just a few of the inspiring blue and red polarizing headlines from the past week.
Right-wing clown show tries to turn a dead-serious hearing on hate into a travesty
I’m Not Afraid, That’s Why I’m a Liberal
Trump and the GOP attack life-saving ACA again
GOP Reps Suck Up To Big Pharma, Warn CEOs Not To Cooperate With Investigation
Senate Republicans whine about Trump’s ugly surprises—the ones they keep supporting
AG Barr is here to deliver a miscarriage of justice. Democrats are our last institutional defense
Democrats Let Loose the Politics of Hate
Roots of the Left’s Acceptance of Pedophilia
The College Admissions Scandal: You Did It, Liberals
Leftism: A Warped Reflection of Christianity
A Liberal’s Losing Game: Fighting Racism with Racism
Left’s Embrace of Identity Politics Makes It Wise for Jews to Move to the Right