Barbara Thomas is a lifelong liberal. Rick Hotchner is a committed conservative. As a couple, they are one of a dwindling number of politically mixed marriages between Democrats and Republicans in America. They made a life-changing decision last summer to leave a diplomatic post abroad to depolarize America—one divided relationship at a time.
How do they stand each other when they can’t stand each other’s politics? What tips and tricks have they learned to always disagree but rarely argue? And what did they do when, during the run-up to the 2020 election, they didn’t speak to each other for days? Tune in as host Mónica Guzmán leads a frank and open conversation with a fascinating couple whose enduring relationship is a model for our country.
Hear more of Rick and Barbara’s story on these additional podcasts:
- Derate the Hate, “Episode 48: Bridging the Divide”
- Traumatic States of America, “23. US Diplomat returns home to focus on America”
- Somali Link Radio, “Somali Link Radio 2021-04-13 interview”
- Liberty Roundtable “Radio Show Hour 2 – 08/03/2021”
- Knuckleheads of Liberty, “Knuckleheads Of Liberty 128: Interview with Braver Angels”