Braver Angels brings together Red and Blue Americans in a working alliance to depolarize America. We welcome people with strong convictions and principles. We believe the best way to achieve a more perfect Union is by being forthright and transparent about our political leanings. In that spirit, we say to our fellow Americans, “Come with your convictions, your willingness to listen, and your readiness to talk with others who disagree with you.”
We also recognize that political beliefs are often complex. A person can belong to a party and not agree with that party’s positions on all issues or candidates. Similarly, one can belong to no party and yet have an overall leaning to the left or right. For instance, research shows that over a third of American voters are registered Independents. However, the vast majority of Independents say they still lean one way or the other: only 7 percent of American voters say they have no leaning either way (Pew 2019 report).
Braver Angels uses the terms “Red” and “Blue” to signify that a person may be inclined Red or Blue but not agree completely with that party’s candidates or positions on all issues.
We also recognize that some Americans don’t identify as leaning Red or Blue. We welcome those Others to join us in our mission of bringing together Red and Blue Americans to depolarize America.
In brief, here is the way we understand the terms Red, Blue, and Other.
Voters who lean conservative philosophically on most issues (or on some issues critical to them), or who tend to vote for Republicans
- A Red may or may not support Republicans, some Republican candidates, or all of the Republican party’s platform.
- A Red may lean liberal or moderate on some issues or candidates.
- A Red may belong to a third party such as the Libertarians, or no party.
Voters who lean liberal or progressive philosophically on most issues (or on some issues critical to them), or who tend to vote for Democrats
- A Blue may or may not support Democrats, some Democratic candidates, or the Democratic Party’s platform.
- A Blue may lean conservative or moderate on some issues or candidates.
- A Blue may belong to a third party such as the Greens, or no party.
Voters who do not lean either Red or Blue
- An Other may be registered as a member of any political party or have no party affiliation.
- An Other may lean conservative on some issues or candidates and lean liberal on others.
- An Other can participate in all Braver Angels events (except the Red/Blue workshop where they are welcome as Observers).
- An Other can assume volunteer leadership positions within Braver Angels.
- An Other can become a moderator, organizer, debate chair, and Alliance member.
- An Other may assume a Red or Blue “color for a day,” or assume the Red or Blue color that matches their position on a Skills or Issue workshop, in order to participate that day.