Not sure which Braver Angels experience to try next? Take a quick stroll around the What we do page to learn more about our events. Unless specifically noted otherwise, all of our events are open to the public!
- This event has passed.
Red/Blue Workshop – Session 2 – IN PERSON
10/29/2022 @ 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm EDT
Local Focus: Traverse City, Michigan
About this event
Note: This event is to be attended in person.
Please join us for an intensive workshop, that will bring together Republican-leaning and Democratic-leaning citizens for structured conversations, with a focus on listening and reflecting rather than debating and persuading. We will use technology to facilitate collaborative discussions and the sharing of ideas.
- To better understand the experiences and beliefs of those on the other side of the political divide.
- To seek out areas of common ground in addition to acknowledging and respecting differences.
- To gain insights that might help to heal the increasing polarization in our community and the nation.
Who can come? Anyone interested in developing a deeper understanding of, and connection with, people whose political beliefs differ from their own. You should honestly be able to answer “yes” to the following question:
“Are you willing to listen to the other side, and are you willing to speak to the other side with respect?”
This event is Session 2, which includes the Questions and How We Can Contribute exercises.
Workshop Details: There are two ways to join a Red/Blue Workshop: as a Participant or as an Observer/Alternate.
- Participants will engage in small- and large-group discussions throughout the day with individuals of both the same and different political persuasions. Participants must identify as “red” (Republican or leaning conservative) or “blue” (Democrat or leaning liberal). We will strive for an equal balance of red and blue participants: 6 to 8 people on each side.
- Observers/Alternates can identify as red, blue or independent (not leaning either way). They will not participate in the discussions directly but will have the opportunity to watch and listen throughout the day, as well as to join the participants for conversations during break times. Observers/Alternates should be ready to step in and participate as their “color” in the event of participant cancellations.
- The workshop is approximately 2.5 hours long.
Everyone who signs up will receive a phone call or email from an organizer. In the event that some participants cancel last min and the red/blue participant balance is off organizers may ask Observers to step up to participate in the empty spot, depending on the needs of the workshop.
Session 1: Which includes the Stereotypes and Fishbowl exercises, will be offered that same day in the morning from 9-12:30. You can register for that workshop separately here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/redblue-workshop-session-1-mi-state-registration-440090170547
Lunch: Whether you will be joining us for just one of these sessions or for both, we would like to invite participants and observers to bring a bagged lunch and enjoy some connection time with others during our lunch break from 12:30-1:30, while we transition to the next workshop. Otherwise we will provide coffee, water, and light snacks for both sessions.
Here is how the schedule will look:
9:00-12:30 Red/Blue Session 1
12:30-1:30 Lunch Break- Both groups are invited
1:30- 4:00 Red/Blue Session 2
* You can sign up for one session or both*
** This event is open to the media upon approval. Media contact: Ciaran O’Connor, email@example.com
This workshop is a free event brought to you by Braver Angels as part of our mission to depolarize America. Braver Angels is a 501(c)(3) non-profit. We invite you to consider a gift to Braver Angels; all donations are tax deductible. Your support will allow us to offer more workshops and debates with the ultimate goal of uniting America. Click here to donate.