Not sure which Braver Angels experience to try next? Take a quick stroll around the What we do page to learn more about our events. Unless specifically noted otherwise, all of our events are open to the public!
- This event has passed.
Immigration Workshop SIX (Single Issue Exchange)
08/07/2021 @ 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm CDT
Join us for a public policy workshop on Immigration.
The Braver Angels SIX (Single Issue Exchange) Workshop brings together Conservatives and Liberals –
Reds and Blues – to address multiple facets of issues such as: immigration, healthcare, racism, etc. Reds and Blues ask questions of the other side in order to:
- Discover areas of common ground
- Identify misconceptions that one side has of the other side
- Promote understanding of the other side’s point of view
- Encourage both sides to be reflective and self-critical
- Inform regarding some pertinent facts relating to the issues
The SIX workshop is an out-growth of Braver Angels signature Red-Blue workshop and allows participants to go deeper into a single issue. Points of Agreement can be fleshed out at future group meetings, and when possible lead to joint Red-Blue actions such as op-eds, joint speaking, and meetings with legislators.
- A participant will engage in small- and large-group discussions with individuals of both the same and different political persuasions. Participants must identify as “red” (Republican or leaning conservative) or “blue” (Democrat or leaning liberal). We will strive for an equal balance of red and blue participants: 4 to 12 people on each side.
- Observer/Alternate: An observer/alternate will not participate in the discussions directly but will have the opportunity to watch and listen. Observers/Alternates should be ready to step in and participate as their “color” in the event of participant cancellations. In areas that have a geographic “color” imbalance, allowing for up to 15 Observers/Alternates provides an opportunity for more people to experience a workshop. Observer/Alternates have found observing a workshop to be valuable.
Who can come? Anyone interested in developing a deeper understanding of, and connection with, people whose political beliefs differ from their own. You should honestly be able to answer “yes” to the following question:
“Are you willing to listen to the other side, and are you willing to speak to the other side with respect?”
Everyone who signs up will receive a phone call or email from an organizer. Organizers reserve the right to switch people between Participant and Observer/Alternate status depending on the needs of the workshop.
See you there!
This workshop is a free event brought to you by Braver Angels as part of our mission to depolarize America. Braver Angels is a 501(c)(3) non-profit. We invite you to consider a gift to Braver Angels; all donations are tax deductible. Your support will allow us to offer more workshops and debates with the ultimate goal of uniting America. Click here to donate.