Note on In-Person Events: Read about our policy for in-person events during the Covid-19 pandemic here.
If you are a Braver Angels member, please log in to the Members Portal to display ‘Members Only’ events on this page.
Issues With Your Event Listing? If you are an organizer and your event is missing from the calendar or has inaccurate information, please report this to our Organizer Help Desk
- This event has passed.
Common Ground – Single Issue (CA – Braver Angels SoCal/Los Angeles)
April 10 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm PDT
Join us for a Common Ground Workshop on Climate Change.
Participants in this workshop will focus on respectfully sharing perspectives and ideas on addressing climate change issues. The goal of the workshop is to identify points of agreement and disagreement and to ultimately, identify common ground.
It is recommended (but not required) that participants in this workshop will have completed at least one of the foundational Braver Angels programs beforehand: Red-Blue Workshop, Depolarizing Within, or Skills for Bridging the Divide.
The Braver Angels Common Ground Workshop brings together equal numbers of Conservatives and Liberals – Reds and Blues (4-8 of each) – for a deep dive into a problem, such as addressing climate change, electoral reform or abortion. Together participants talk about their connection to the issue and their opinion on solutions. By the end of the 3-hour online event they have come up with jointly and unanimously held Points of Agreements on values, concerns and policies.
The Common Ground workshop is an out-growth of Braver Angels signature Red-Blue workshop and allows participants to go deeper into a single issue. Points of Agreement can be fleshed out at future group meetings, and when possible lead to joint Red-Blue actions such as op-eds, joint speaking and meetings with legislators.
- To delve into a single issue where citizens differ, and learn how each other sees the problem
- To delineate areas of common ground and points of agreement
- To learn something that might be helpful to others in our community and the nation.
There are two ways to join a Common Ground Workshop:
- Participant: A participant will engage in small- and large-group discussions with individuals of both the same and different political persuasions. Participants must identify as “red” (Republican or leaning conservative) or “blue” (Democrat or leaning liberal). We will strive for an equal balance of red and blue participants: 4 to 8 people on each side.
- Observer/Alternate: An observer/alternate will not participate in the discussions directly but will have the opportunity to watch and listen. Observers/Alternates should be ready to step in and participate as their “color” in the event of participant cancellations. In areas that have a geographic “color” imbalance, allowing for up to 15 Observers/Alternates provides an opportunity for more people to experience a Red/Blue workshop. Observer/Alternates have found observing a workshop to be amazingly valuable.
Who can come? Anyone interested in developing a deeper understanding of, and connection with, people whose political beliefs differ from their own. You should honestly be able to answer “yes” to the following question:
“Are you willing to listen to the other side, and are you willing to speak to the other side with respect?”
Everyone who signs up will receive a phone call or email from an organizer. Organizers reserve the right to switch people between Participant and Observer/Alternate status depending on the needs of the workshop.
See you there!
This workshop is a free event brought to you by Braver Angels as part of our mission to depolarize America. Braver Angels is a 501(c)(3) non-profit. We invite you to consider a gift to Braver Angels; all donations are tax deductible. Your support will allow us to offer more workshops and debates with the ultimate goal of uniting America. Click here to donate.