Work for Braver Angels
Braver Angels’ team features a range of talented and passionate professionals committed to both exemplifying and scaling the impact of our mission. We base our leadership on an equal balance of “reds” and “blues,” so that our organization can reflect the country we seek to serve. Join us!
Part Time Field Reporter/Contract
The Braver Angels Field Reporter position is a part-time six-month contract position to support the development of impact stories from local and state levels. This person would follow up on potential stories of mission impact happening in the field, creating stories which could be used as proof points of the good things taking place in the field. Expected work hours would be approximately 10 hours per week with a pay rate up to $18/hour.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Creating relationships with Braver Angels field leaders to develop access for future stories
- Developing story ideas based on leads (or as assigned) by conducting research, interviewing, and observing
- Writing stories using appropriate AP style guidelines, while also ensuring they are compelling and professional in style and presentation
- Reworking pieces as requested by supervisor, and/or updating pieces as needed for ongoing or developing stories
- Converting stories for BA social media platforms, and/or creating social media posts to drive traffic to the website
- Meeting all deadlines for projects as requested by supervisor
Skills needed for this position include:
- Passion about writing and creating interesting stories
- Excellent communication, writing, and research skills
- Good time management skills
- Interest in the mission of Braver Angels
- Curiosity about the Braver Angels community
- Flexibility and a willingness to experiment
Education/experience required include:
- 1-2 years of journalism-related writing experience. (Work on blogs or community publications qualifies.)
To be fully considered for this position, applicants should submit the following by December 1, 2021:
- A one-page cover letter explaining their interest in telling the stories of the Braver Angels community and people’s work in depolarization
- A résumé
- 5 examples of their best written and/or digital storytelling work, ideally at the community level
- 3 professional reference names with contact information
Braver Angels is remote-friendly. While we maintain an office in New York city, our team is spread across the U.S. and this job can be performed successfully from anywhere within the U.S.
Part Time Events/Program Assistant/California
Braver Angels (www.braverangels.org) is a national non-profit working to depolarize the United States by bringing liberals and conservatives together for workshops, teaching skills for bridging the divide, and challenging the political world to move toward depolarization. By bringing red and blue Americans together into a working alliance, Braver Angels is building new ways to talk to one another, participate together in public life, and influence the direction of the nation.
Braver Angels currently has over 50,000 subscribers and we are scaling rapidly in 2021 as we expand our offerings online. From our board of Directors to our staff, we are balanced between liberals and conservatives. We call it the Braver Angels Rule: At every level of leadership we are half red and half blue so that our organization can reflect the country we seek to serve.
We are a citizen’s organization uniting red and blue Americans in a working alliance to depolarize America seeking a highly motivated Part-time Events/Program Assistant to support the Director of Events, in all aspects of the events work with Braver Angels. In this role, the Program Assistant will coordinate Fee-for-Service workshops along with client follow up, and coordinate special event projects. This position will be 10-15 hours per week with a pay rate up to $18 per hour.
- Scheduling workshops
- Tracking contracts/invoices
- Survey management
- Researching projects as assigned
- Providing support for the Major Gifts team
- Providing support on various projects and miscellaneous activities related to the work of Braver Angels.
- Minimum of two years’ related work experience as an Executive Assistant, Program Associate, or similar role;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail is essential;
- Customer-service orientation and problem-solving skills and a self-starter attitude;
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint); Proficient with platforms including Trello, Salesforce, Zoom, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, with ability to quickly