Work for Braver Angels
Braver Angels’ team features a range of talented and passionate professionals committed to both exemplifying and scaling the impact of our mission. We base our leadership on an equal balance of “reds” and “blues,” so that our organization can reflect the country we seek to serve. Join us!
Braver Angels relies on cloud-based technologies to allow volunteers and program staff to collaborate in our work, in which we offer transformational experiences that bridge the divide and build common bonds between fellow Americans from different walks of life and political opinions.
Whether it be provisioning the digital identities of our core team across platforms, updating and improving our website, managing the digital assets that provide workshop leaders their facilitation guidance, allowing our participants a hassle-free registration process, or helping build out friendly training resources to ensure our teams all get the most out of their digital tools, technology support plays an extremely hands-on role in helping Braver Angels achieve its mission.
A successful technology support specialist at Braver Angels will be a skilled, service-oriented troubleshooter with a zeal for helping a wide range of users navigate a variety of tools, from Google Workspace (Gmail, Drive, Calendar, etc.) to Zoom. Because we are a lean non-profit with a big mission, our technology support specialist works with an eye toward scalability, identifying opportunities for us to increase our impact through continuous systems improvements. Ideally, this person has experience working inside or managing a customer-facing helpdesk, and they can help us build smart and sustainable processes. Additionally, this person is comfortable with a wide variety of digital tools, including content management and email marketing tools such as WordPress, Mailchimp, etc. and has experience administering user accounts and maintaining security and data privacy in systems.
Type: PT Hourly position. 20 hours/week.
Location: New York, NY
- Braver Angels Chief Technology Officer
- Establish and staff a help desk / case management system that is able to support staff and core volunteer users.
- Develop and maintain systems and training resources that ensure the smooth onboarding and offboarding of users across a variety of platforms, including Google Workspace, Salesforce, WordPress, Action Network, and others.
- Perform routine maintenance and content creation and design tasks within our WordPress website.
- Develop and maintain internal IT and staff / volunteer-facing documentation to ensure all systems are sustainable.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in a technology-rich environment, with direct regular usage of a range of digital productivity tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong working knowledge of Google Workspace (Gmail, Drive, Google Calendar, etc.) from an end user perspective
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Google Workspace user and security administration
- WordPress administration and/or publishing
- Helpdesk setup and administration
- Customer service involving technical support
Nice to have:
- Experience with systems automation (Google Apps Script, Zapier, API integrations)
- Experience with data handling (Spreadsheet formulas, Databases, Dashboard building, etc.)
- Web design and/or content management
*This position may be worked remotely or in person, but the employee is expected to come to the office (at 420 Lexington Avenue near Grand Central in Manhattan) at least 1 time per week.
Braver Angels seeks a highly motivated Foundation Relations Manager for our development team. The ideal candidate is a hands-on, collaborative individual with enthusiasm for and commitment to Braver Angels’ work, mission, and philosophy. They possess the experience and motivation to conduct development research; prepare effective briefs, proposals, updates, and reports; manage an active portfolio of institutional supporters and prospects; and contribute to the overall success of the development team. The Foundation Relations Manager reports to our Chief Operations Officer, and may work with or manage volunteers and interns.
- Lead identification, cultivation, and stewardship for a growing portfolio of institutional funders and prospects.
- Develop fundraising pitches and make outreach to a high volume of foundation funders.
- Manage relationships with institutional funders.
- In a timely manner, draft, submit, and follow up on LOIs, grant proposals, and reports.
- Oversee the project management of proposal writing, reporting, sponsorship requests, grant tracking, and funder acknowledgment.
- Maintain the grants calendar and institutional funder records to track meetings, internal and external deadlines, relationship-building and other communications.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to prepare the Executive Director, relevant staff, and Board members in advance of meetings with institutional donors and prospects.
- Research connections as needed through online databases and prepare documents of relationship connections to gain introductions to foundations.
- Manage prospects, portfolio, and reports in fundraising database, including action tracking and financial analyses; providing regular reports on actions made.
- Support and supervise members, volunteers, and friends of the organization nationally in conducting local foundation outreach.
- Use database and spreadsheet tools to track and present annual foundation fundraising goals and pending estimates of annual funding.
- Organize all foundation correspondence, paperwork, contracts, and deadlines via the organization’s digital systems.
- As needed, manage volunteers and interns performing prospect research, grant writing, and administrative tasks.
- Work with Finance staff to ensure compliance with all grant restrictions and reporting requirements and to gather information necessary for grant reports.
- At least three to five years of experience in the grant fundraising space, with proven results in securing grants.
- Superior written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to write and communicate clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from foundations through grants.
- Highly organized, able to take the initiative, work in a team, and be resourceful with excellent time management skills.
- Comfortable managing deadlines, prioritizing work in a fast-paced environment, and producing quality results with great attention to detail
- High level of professionalism; strong interpersonal skills and poise; demonstrable flexibility and resilience in a dynamic work environment.
- Technical digital proficiency with skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel). Preferably experienced in G Suite, Dropbox, and CRM database management.
- Familiarity with financial information, including the ability to evaluate grant budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Prior management experience is a plus.
Braver Angels is remote-friendly. While we maintain an office in New York city, our team is spread across the U.S. and this job can be performed successfully from anywhere within the U.S.
The Director of Development (DoD) serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Braver Angels. In partnership with and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the DoD is responsible for designing and executing a comprehensive development strategy for this rapidly growing national organization. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Braver Angel’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The DoD also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support. S/he will grow and manage 2-3 fulltime staff and several enthusiastic volunteers working to raise funds to support significant expansion. Between FY2019 and FY2020, Braver Angels more than doubled its total philanthropic income, and we expect rapid growth to continue under the leadership of a seasoned professional.
- Design and execute the national development strategy for Braver Angels:
- Work with the management team to identify funds needed, preferred funding targets, and strategic approaches to develop an ambitious organization growth plan
- Oversee Development staff in research, prospecting, proposals, and reporting to multiple donor sources including foundations, corporations, individuals, family foundations, and government partners.
- Develop relationships with local Braver Angels alliances throughout the 50 states to support local fundraising and the development of relationships with new individual donors and local foundations
- Build Individual Giving program
- Oversee a fiscal year calendar to centralize the cultivation and appeal schedule of the major and individual gifts programs, strategically developing a year-long series of touches to keep donors cultivated and solicit first time gifts, renewals and upgrades.
- Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects, including 6- and 7-figure donors.
- Drive new and ongoing fundraising and stewardship efforts with our thousands of recurring donors. Our total recurring donors quadrupled in 2020.
- Plan and oversee organization of virtual and in-person donor cultivation events.
- Support strategic Board development and Board giving initiatives.
- Manage Development Team
- Oversee development team staff and volunteers
- Work with the COO and senior leadership team to identify staffing needs and grow the development team
- Interview candidates and hire team members
- Reporting and Information Management
- Improve and develop the database infrastructure to manage donor and prospect data
- Prepare analytics and reporting to support assessments fundraising activities.
- Coordinate reconciliation of donation revenue with Finance Team, and supervise the accurate entry of donations into our data management system.
- Communicate and Coach
- Train and mentor development staff leadership as needed to communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout Braver Angels community
- Coach donor stewards on making the ask as needed
- Passion for bringing Americans together to decrease polarization.
- Proven success and 10+ years experience in non-profit fundraising. Experience running annual campaigns, working with major donors at the 6-figure and above level, overseeing peer-to-peer fundraising programs, and success fundraising from multiple donor channels preferred.
- Strong social and emotional intelligence, and ability to connect warmly with diverse people across the liberal and conservative political spectrum. Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones.
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Experience with cultivation event planning and execution.
- Enthusiastic, hands-on startup mentality and comfortable working in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Experience successfully managing and growing a team.
- Experience with donor databases; SalesForce is a plus.
- Experience with Board development and cultivation is a plus.
Braver Angels is remote-friendly: while we maintain an office in New York City, our team is spread across the U.S. and this job can be performed successfully anywhere. Braver Angels offers a generous 4-week vacation policy, competitive salaries, and full healthcare benefits.