What is a Braver Angels Organizer?
- Organizers form, lead, and work with teams to plan and produce Braver Angels workshops, debates and other events.
- On-land and online events both require organizers. The duties are similar, with some differences, which are described below.
What are the Qualifications for Becoming an Organizer?
- Being well-organized, detail-oriented, and having good people skills. There are many details to keep track of and lots of people (and sometimes organizations) involved. The organizer needs to keep everything and everyone moving forward in the same direction, ensure that all necessary tasks are completed on time, keep all team members informed and engaged, and be flexible and maintain sense of humor when things inevitably don’t work out exactly as planned.
- Organizing online events requires basic computer skills and access to a strong reliable internet connection. Tasks include scheduling and facilitating planning meetings via Zoom, creating a registration page on Eventbrite, securing a Zoom Meeting room for the event, opening the Zoom Meeting room, and doing simple troubleshooting and problem-solving.
Ready to Enroll as an Organizer?
Questions for the Organizer Core Team?
What Does a Braver Angels Organizer Do?
Note that an organizer is not responsible for facilitating the event itself; trained Braver Angels moderators facilitate the events. and Zoom Event Managers (ZEMs) or debate whips provide technical support for online events.
Braver Angels state coordinators will connect you with volunteer moderators, ZEMs ,and Whips, or give you information on how to recruit moderators in your region if there are no moderators in your region, or you can recruit staff using the online staffing chart.
In addition to recruiting staff, organizers have important responsibilities for each type of event. Click here for details.
How does Braver Angels support organizers?
New organizers are contacted by their State Coordinator, a member of the national Organizer Core Team, and a member of the national Online Workshop Production Team who will answer questions and connect them with the following support and resources:
- Monthly support calls and opportunities to connect with other Braver Angels organizers across the country.
- Mentoring by experienced on-line organizers.
- Weekly On-line Workshop Production (OWP) Team meetings.
- Online Event and Public Outreach Resources (Written Processes & Procedures, Step-By-Step Guide, etc.).
- Responses to questions on organizing workshops, including trouble shooting challenges you experience. This will be provided through contact with experienced on-line organizers and through monthly support calls.
- Connections with Braver Angels moderators, who facilitate the workshops, and Zoom Event Managers who handle the technical aspects of producing the workshops.
- Support for organizing local on-line debates is provided by Steve Warshaw [email protected]
How do I become a Braver Angels Organizer?
There are four steps to becoming a Braver Angels Organizer
- Enroll as an organizer.
- You’ll be added to the organizer list.
- You’ll then be contacted by your State Coordinator, a member of the national Organizer Core Team, and a member of the national Online Workshop Production Team.
- You will be invited to join monthly organizer calls and weekly Online Workshop Production team meetings, and may request an experienced organizer mentor.
You’ll become a part of the Braver Angels organizer community. This is a very supportive and interactive community, with regular calls and ready access to support.
Please note: only Braver Angels members can enroll to be an organizer. You can join here.